On Thursday, the actor Morgan Freeman issued an apology after multiple women had accused him for sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior on various movie sets and in other professional settings.
“Anyone who knows me or has worked with me knows I am not someone who would intentionally offend or knowingly make anyone feel uneasy,” the 80-year-old actor said in a statement. “I apologise to anyone who felt uncomfortable or disrespected – that was never my intent.”
Around 16 people alleges about his uncomfortable behavior. Eight of them reveal that they had been harassed while others said they had witnessed such conduct at movie sets, promotional events and the office of Freeman’s production company Revelations Entertainment.
Many unidentified production assistants alleges about his behavior. In the set of Going in Style in 2015, one of the production assistant said Freeman touched her unnecessarily and made inappropriate comments about her body and clothing. Another incident in 2012 movie Now You See Me, a senior production staff alleges that Freeman sexually harassed her.
With the pop up of #MeToo and Time’s Up movement, the sexual misconduct of Freeman came to light. The movement aims at exposing sexual harassment and assaults suffered by women especially in workplace.